Pyramids of Giza Entrances | Gates, Exits & Getting There
Dating back over 4,500 years, the Pyramids of Giza are the oldest of the Seven Wonders of the World. Located on the Giza Plateau, just 15 km from central Cairo, they have become most famous landmarks in the world. Before you plan a visit to this awe-inspiring site, read about the different Pyramids of Giza entrances and how to get there.
How to Enter the Pyramids of Giza?
To enter the Pyramids of Giza complex, you must first buy a ticket. There a many options, from basic entry tickets to comprehensive guided tours.
One you have your tickets, it is important to know that there are two entrances to the Pyramids of Giza. One is next to the Great Pyramid, near the Marriott Mena House hotel. The second is further down from the pyramids in front of the Sphinx.
Pyramids of Giza Entrance Gates
Pyramids of Giza Entrances & Exits
Pyramids of Giza - Great Pyramid Entrance
- One entrance to the Pyramids of Giza is located near the Great Pyramid off Al Haram Road near the Marriott Mena House hotel.
- This is the entrance used by tour buses and solo tourists.
- This is the entryway often used by taxis and Uber drivers when they drive to the pyramids.
- Depending on the time of your visit, it will take about 20-30 minutes to enter the site.
Pyramids of Giza - Sphinx Entrance
- The second entrance to the Pyramids of Giza is located in front of the Sphinx.
- This is also the entrance near the main ticket office, and the one used for the Sound & Light Show.
- The entrance is very popular with tour buses and is often quite crowded.
- Visitors should expect to wait anywhere from 30-40 minutes at peak times at this entrance.
- There are numerous shops and restaurants near this entrance, including a Pizza Hut.
Which Pyramids of Giza Entrance to Choose?
Both the Great Pyramid entrance and the entrance near the Sphinx see similar crowds. But, remember that if you use the Sphinx entrance, it will be a long uphill walk to the pyramids and a walk of around 3 km to the Panoramic Point.
All Your Questions Answered About the Pyramids of Giza Entrances
A. There are two Pyramids of Giza entrances.
A. Both entrances to the Pyramids of Giza provide equal access to different parts of the Giza Necropolis.
A. The closing time of the Pyramids of Giza varies between 4 PM and 5 PM depending on the time of the year.
A. Both entrances to the Pyramids of Giza see large crowds during peak hours. However, the Great Pyramid entrance does not require an uphill climb in the hot sun.
A. If you are arriving by bus, the best Pyramids of Giza entrance will be the one near the Great Sphinx.
A. If you are arriving by taxi, try to opt for the Pyramids of Giza entrance near the Great Pyramid.
A. It takes at least 4 hours to explore the Pyramids of Giza in their entirety.
A. The best time to visit the Pyramids of Giza is during the winter when the weather is relatively mild. Try to visit between 10 AM and noon for fewer crowds.